Review | Contours for Pale Skin


The hunt for the perfect contouring shade can be a problem for us ghost white gals. Too muddy, too orange, that's not a contour shade that's a fucking bronzer...and so on. Most drugstore offerings for contour mostly come in palette form. Trio's or larger palettes. While that's all well and good it's often too much for use and the wrong colour spectrum for specific skin tones. It really does pay to spend a little extra time and effort in exploring individual eyeshadows. More often than not you can find perfect taupes for creating sharp or hazy shadows for the hollows of your face. 

The selection I have for you is for the lower end of the budget with 3 light shades and 3 darker ones for the more daring of people. I had wanted to do a larger smackdown but funds and time have influenced me into making an allowance. So in the future you may see a more expanded post on this topic or a post for higher end brands.


Light Shades
(Left to Right)

Illamsqua Cream Pigment in Hollow: Cult product and must have for everyones collection. Perfect for your typical contouring mapping and blending out without being orange, too warm or too severe. ( $33 )

Illamasqua Eyeshadow in Heroine: A favourite of Youtubes' Nikki Tutorials, Heroine made it's way into my collection during a trip to Sydney. Amazing pigmentation and soft formula make this a great choice. A slight yellow undertone make it great as an everyday contour without being too ashy. ( $30 )

Essence I love Nudes in My Favourite Tauping: A favourite of mine. I liken this formula to the Mac mineralise skin finishes. Not completely matte but not sparkly either. Not too strong in pigment but soft in formula. If you find one snap it up as it is being discontinued (cries).     ( $4.25 )

Essence The Velvets in Taupe Secret: Replacing the 'I love Nudes' line, The Velvets are a new discovery of mine. More matte than the I love nudes but just as malt toned as 'My Favourite Tauping' and a shoe in to replace it once I finish it. ( $4.25 )



Dark Shades
(Left to Right)

I personally use the darker tones to slightly deepen the hollow of my cheek after an initial light contouring with my usual light shades. 

Essence Mono Shadow in No Cream No Sugar: Cool toned with a ashy undertone but a dry formula. Light pigmentation make this a nice shade to begin a love affair with darker tones.   ( $3.25 )

Chi Chi Shadow in Living on a Prayer: Being a baked shadow it's drier in formula but this has no effect on the pigmentation. Go in strong or build it up. Neutral in tone being neither too cool or warm. ($14.95)

Inglot Shadow in 360: My favourite darker shade. Dry in formula being an Inglot Matte but smooth in application and strong in pigmentation. Neutral in tone. I love using this to make my cheekbones sharper than cut glass on an evening out. ( $7-10 )

Nyx Single Shadow in SOS: My least favourite but earns an honourable mention. The formula is very dry (I'm spotting a running trend here) and kicks up a bit of powder. Not very strong in pigmentation. Of all the shades this one leans grey in tone. A good budget shade but use with caution, a good brush and a light hand. ( $8.95 )


Gidget xx


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM

Blog Archive

FIND ME ON BLOGLOVIN

Gidget Cooper